Monday, June 9, 2014

Chicks with Candles (Tumblr Page)

My good friend, and fan of this site, Terence, has a cool Eurocult Tumblr I just found out about yesterday, Chicks with Candles! Not only does it live up to its title, celebrating the beloved gothic film trope of beautiful maidens with candelabra from movies like Tragic Ceremony and Baba Yaga, the page also features posters, cover art, deleted scenes, trivia, interesting but concise observations on Eurocult films like Jess Franco’s Lorna the Exorcist, and, most importantly, a lot of attractive films I’ve never heard of but really want to look at. I believe that me and Terence share an affinity for the use of lit candles as a mood enhancing aesthetic on film sets, and it's an elegant idea for a Tumblr page.

Check it out by clicking the delectable image of Rosalba Neri below, and be prepared to stay a while!  


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out. When I started, I was just going to use the blog as a gimmick to show actresses with candles in ANY scene. Now it feels sort of like a journal for observations. I hope to do more analyses like I did with Lorna as well as add more categories such as spotlights on obscure actors like Penny Brown. I'm not really good at layouts so I might have to get help from a friend.

    I also really want to thank you for this wonderful blog. Were it not for your reviews, I would have missed out on plenty of gems and whole portions of Eurocult cinema (e.g. I would have continued to see Jess Franco as that Oasis of the Zombies guy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, and thank you for being such an active reader. I think our internet friendship has been very complementary. I have enjoyed our epic conversations on the FB fan page (which are probably worthy of publication); your analysis on these films has been inspirational and impressive. I’ve learned a lot from you as well (e.g. Jan Svankmajer, who I’d probably have no clue about otherwise). Good luck with your page!

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a Tumblr page. I'll be keeping an eye on it and plus anytime you can click on Rosalba Neri it's a good thing.

    Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh! I thought it would increase the temptation to click on the link. It also got me to finally figure out how to create image links with blogger, which was surprisingly easy.

      Delete